Pages

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Missing the larger issue.




Empowerment? Seriously?

I was greeted at this morning by an email-missive to help our department by taking yet another survey -- because the company-wide employee opinion survey didn't point out explicitly enough that we feel totally let down (Hello? Big kahunas? Are you listening?). I mean really, how many people have to express the same opinion before someone sits up and takes notice?

Oh, well let's not forget, changes have taken place since that survey was done, and it's a brand new world at work since then. Oh. I must have missed that part. You know, the brand-new-world part. Because, new management or not, where I am is just as miserable as is has been for the last several years, and I'm not the only one feeling that way.

But hey, at least they asked us for areas of improvement, right? Sure. And, just so we're clear, I'm saying that totally sarcastically, and drawing it out so that "sure" is more than just one syllable. They asked. We answered. And then they choose to "focus" on areas that weren't the pain points that we said needed to be addressed. That's an EXCELLENT plan. That'll help tons! Way to go!

(Just so you know, I'm hearing a voice in my head say these comments -- a specific voice, in a specific delivery -- and I can't for the life of me figure out whose voice it is. Talk about irritating. Rest assured it's not a "voice" that I'm hearing for real -- I know it's not real, silly. But as I read this back to myself my commentary is being narrated by a specific TV talent. Arghhhhh! Who is it?)

So "empowerment" is the focus of choice. And -- poor me -- I'm at a loss as to how to respond to this survey. How can I articulate the many things that are wrong? The way we feel so demoralized day in and day out? 

demoralize
/dɪˈmɔrəˌlaɪz, -ˈmɒr-/
[dih-mawr-uh-lahyz, -mor-]
–verb (used with object),-ized, -iz·ing.

1. to deprive (a person or persons) of spirit, courage, discipline, etc.; destroy the morale of:
The continuous barrage demoralized the infantry.

2. to throw (a person) into disorder or confusion; bewilder:
We were so demoralized by that one wrong turn that we were lost for hours.


Ohhhhhhhh. I got it! Go listen to the Hoops and YoYo "Sarcastic Wednesday" clip. That's who it is that I'm hearing deliver this narrative -- sorry, it wasn't TV at all, but a video clip that really resonates with me. This says it all.



http://www.hallmark.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/article%7C10001%7C10051%7C/HallmarkSite/hoops_yoyohome/Animations/Funimations/HYY_FUNIMATIONS?mn=wednesday

The tone. The sarcasm. The pizza "reward" for working late. That's it exactly.

I'm going back to "the land of fairies and elves" now. I'll be working on composing my survey answers in a way that might be seen as empowering. Sleep is highly overrated.

No comments:

Post a Comment