Pages

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thanksgiving

My favorite holiday. I just love Thanksgiving. Julia from "The World is my Oyster" has a fun thing on her blog (like that description? Thing. I can't figure out what to call it -- oh wait! Post. It's a "post" not a thing.)





Let's try that again... Julia from "The World is My Oyster" has a fun blog topic: Stuffing blanks instead of Turkey. Let's go:



1. My Thanksgiving plans this year will include hosting the family dinner -- my extended family and my aunt and cousins for the turkey dinner with all the fixings. Then turkey sandwiches several hours later when the rest of the cousins come from their first meal.


2. My favorite Thanksgiving was ... hard to narrow down to just one, really. It's my favorite holiday: family, great food, relaxing. Better even than Christmas in my book (except that on Christmas we have beef brisket, which I much prefer over turkey).



3. My signature Thanksgiving dish is Pritz Pie. It may not be spelled correctly, because it's a Dutch word. I once attempted to make a cheesecake that I'd found a recipe for in a magazine. Keep in mind that I don't cook. Ever, really. But for some reason I thought I'd give it a shot. Impress everybody. That. So. Didn't. Happen. I'm not exactly sure what I did wrong (besides attempt to spend time in the kitchen) but nobody would try it. Not even me. Finally my Aunt Coral caved and tried a bit. She promptly ran to the trash can and spit it out. Much laughing ensued and it ended up with the name Pritz (which I'm sure mean's tastes-like-shit in Dutch) Pie. I was so traumatized by the whole thing I haven't stepped foot in the kitchen since.



4. My favorite Thanksgiving food is my Aunt Coral's homemade stuffing. Yum, yum, yum. But generally speaking I like almost all of the TG side dishes. What a feast.



5. Thanksgiving free association! Stuffing... cranberry... pecan pie... Cheesecake Factory Pumpkin cheesecake... Chicago... cold... snow on Thanksgiving... playing bball outside on a warm TG with my cousins.



6. Thanksgiving is about family and food fest.

7. I am thankful for so many things, but family, friends, and good health top the list.

This is what my niece is making for decorations this year -- an apple turkey!Fatherhood site at About.com