Pages

Monday, March 28, 2011

Spaetzle

No, that's not a foreign swear word. It's a pasta -- a german pasta -- that I haven't had in years. But I'd like to. I once had a roommate who was German. Her mom and brother were awesome cooks. When we'd go to their house we'd have awesome food -- and my favorite was ... spaetzle.

In all honesty I can't remember exactly what it tasted like. But, given my love for mac and cheese I'm guessing it was something like that. Mrs. Wolske's was the best. The total best. Even better than when I ordered it when I spent a summer in Austria.

I remember Mrs. Wolske and Michael making it by forcing dough through a collander (with larger than normal holes) into boiling water. That's all I really remember about making it. As I looked for a recipe I found that you then pan fry it -- with butter or bacon drippings. Oh, yeah, no wonder I liked it.

Drooling. What brought this on? We're watching Anthony Bourdain "No reservations" and he's in Austria. He just ate brains marinated in red wine (ick, ick, ick) and some really red, red, red liver. I had to look away when that flashed on the TV screen. I'm starting to feel queasy seeing that stuff.

Now flash up some spaetzle and I'd be all set. Wishing I could get Mrs. Wolske's recipe so that Rico could make it for me. Yum!