Thursday, March 17, 2011
Gorgeous day in Michigan today!
It's finally showing signs of warming up in Michigan -- we were up to a balmy 68 degrees today -- and I really mean that sincerely. Balmy. As in I-didn't-wear-a-coat-to-work balmy. Yippee!
In light of the great-weather-warm-up I figured I should update my list of "Things to do (... before the snow melts). Here's the progress (but before I get to that can I tell you how irritating I find it that there's no strike through option in blogger? Irritating. So what I would normally strike through I've turned to green):
- Do a major clean of all rooms. Clean out junk and only leave essentials. Put the rest in the barn for the spring Relay For Life of Lowell garage sale fundraiser. Pretty much done, out of necessity, because we hosted a baby shower on Saturday and I had invited many people who hadn't yet been to our house. Can't make a bad impression, you know, this might be the one and only time they see the house.
- Get Rico to build the cabinets for the "new" laundry room and finish the beadboard and trim. BIG, big excitement here! The cabinets are assembled and are cooling their heals in the living room -- waiting for another pair of hands to help Rico hang them up. My weak-armed self was no help as I could barely help hold up the tiny 10" cabinet Rico built to store detergent -- look at it. It's so small -- and I was no help at all. My only contribution as to make sure the bottom of it was "on the line" -- you know... the pencil line.
In my defense I'm too short to reach them over the washer and dryer anyway, so Rico pretty much knew I would be no help with hanging the cabinets. Oh, wait! I handed him the drill too. Wow, I'm good. Definite progress. Now I just have start putting money away to purchase the doors for these lovelies from IKEA.
- Clean couch upholstery (and figure out where we're going to put the couch now that it's been displaced by the treadmill). This one's half done --it's not steam-cleaned yet -- the couch made it to the basement (opposite the bookshelves and the toy table). I like it. I LOVE that it's no longer in the living room taking up space. While it was handy to have it there for the Christmas Eve party it got old fast.
- Scan old photos and eliminate prints not displayed. If you never look at them what's the point of having them sitting in a cupboard? I've got 75% of them scanned, but I still need to separate them and save them as individual images as I ganged them up when scanning to save scanning time. So, this one is half done too.
Still on the list -- and with the piles of snow melting we're running out of time -- unless it snows again. (it is Michigan after all):
- Patch cracks in drywall (1 living room, 1 bedroom, 1 basement stairwell, 1 hallway) and nail pops in ceiling. Rico, if you're reading this... I can't reach these, so I'm leaving these fixes up to you.
- Repaint master bath and add tile above the shower unit. Rico, if you're reading this... ha ha.
- Continue purging "holiday" decorations and paraphernalia. Too much, too, too much stuff. (And I'm not just talking Christmas stuff.). I still want to get to this before the May garage sale fundraiser.
- Sell Polish pottery that I don't use. Note to self: Let Desiree and Cookie know what's available as they might be interested.
- Pare down dishes in kitchen -- too many extra sets of dishes and way too many bowls. Rico did check with a place that buys and sells china about a set of dishes he has from his previous life (ha ha) -- we've just got to ship those off and rake in some cash. Woo-hoo!
- Clean out cabinets in bedroom. Purge, purge, purge. This will be easy once the new cabinets are up in the laundry room. I can purge, and move, and organize at the same time.
Ok. my work is cut out for me.
And I've got to get better about blogging -- it's been quite a while since my last post. I've been a bit out of sorts for a few weeks and haven't felt like I had the energy -- and then the shower prep took up time, and then I had the flu for 4 days (yuck). I've got to get back at it (and get back on the treadmill too)! Oh, that's another thing. I've been getting on the treadmill and that's cutting into my sitting on my backside time (also known as lurking/blogging, for me, anyway)
I'll have a baby shower post soon -- and I can share the "project" that I had my Dad work on for it (Thanks Dad!). Ber's due ANY DAY as the doc keeps moving up her due date!
Posted by M... at 6:03 PM